I know what you’re thinking: “Ugh. A SALAD isn’t going to do JACK for me when it’s Tuesday night and I should be putting a plate of tacos and a fat bean & cheese burrito in my face right now.”
And ordinarily I’d be right there with you. Besides, sometimes it is 100% necessary to indulge. And when it’s that time, go get yourself an icy cerveza, some tacos, a burrito, a stack of nachos, and enjoy the hell out of it.
BUT sometimes you realize that while you certainly want a little T-Bell on your Tuesday night, your body probably won’t thank you for it. And when that’s the case, look no further than this pile of yummy, taco-seasoned ground turkey with black beans, salsa, and diced onions, dumped onto a bed of crunchy, juicy romaine, and topped with all your favorite fiesta-worthy condiments. Too easy.
WARNING: YOU WILL BE FULL.
This comes from a child-sized person with the appetite of a 250lb bodybuilder – in MONTHS this was the first homemade meal I couldn’t entirely finish. A SALAD. Who knew?
Recipe: Taco Meat
– 1 – 1.5lbs 99% lean ground turkey
– 1/2 – 1 packet taco seasoning
– 1/2 jar of salsa
– 1 can black beans
– 1C onions, diced
- Sautée onions in large pan over medium heat.
- Add ground turkey and seasoning, and stir to brown meat evenly.
- Add salsa and beans, stirring to combine.
- Ensure meat is cooked through and let simmer if necessary to let any excess moisture cook off.
Servings: 5 – 7 (without salad or toppings)
185 Calories – 14.5g Carbs | 29.3g Protein | 1.2g Fat*
*nutrition based on 1.3lbs turkey divided into 6 servings
Recipe: Salad & Toppings
– 2C romaine lettuce (topped with turkey mixture)
– 1/3C tomatoes, diced
– 2T pico de gallo
– 2T guacamole
– 2T nonfat Greek yogurt (substituted for sour cream)
– cilantro (to taste)
* TIP: If you haven’t tried subbing nonfat Greek yogurt for sour cream, you need to try it. You’re welcome.
Nutrition for 1 full salad with salsa turkey mixture & toppings:
~280 Calories – 26g Carbs | 34.5g Protein | 5.2g Fat